Monday, March 14, 2005

Legion

When I was in elementary school i was an avid comic book reader. When I first started buying them they were only 25 cents each. Eventually my favorite became the Legion of Super Heroes.
The variety of heroes, the futuristic setting, and the great stories were all underlying reasons why they became the comic of choice.
When I reached Junior High School (as it was called back then), I slowly gave up on comic books. I considered them a throwback to childhood, and would feel silly being caught buying or reading one.
Years later, while shopping at the late great Busy-Bee flea market with my sister (Indiyon- http://indiyon.blogspot.com), I picked up an issue out of curiousity. To my surprise, the teen heroes of my youth had grown up and were now adults. In addition, the writing had also matured and targetted to my age bracket. The new writers of Tom and Mary Bierbaum, and Keith Giffen took on some surprisingly adult-themed topics. Two of the Legion members were Lesbian, and one (Element Lad) was gay. In general, the characters were much more well-rounded with personality flaws.
I began a resurgence in my comic book collecting of the Legion during my college years. I shopped at the (late great) Bonmark Books in Plainview as well as smaller comic stores in Nassau County.
Tragically the writing team left, and the new authors really messed things up. In addition, DC Comics decided to revamp all of their comics, effectively wiping out the Legion's rich and intricate history, and calling the event "Zero Hour". It was an obvious attempt to attract a newer, younger generation of readers, but it effectively alienated the older audience. Very quickly, I lost interest in the new and (not at all) improved Legion, and discontinued collecting them permanently in 1994.
However, I still kept my collection, including the entire Tom & Mary Bierbaum (4th series) packed safely away. A heartfelt thanks to the Bierbaums for the great stories & characters and allowing me to revisit the Legion during some difficult college years.

1 comment:

T. Kuhn said...

A good friend of mine whose an avid comic collector has also been disappointed by the change in this series.

I remember your love of the series all too well and how we would run up to the candy store every Saturday morning (or after school) to collect comics. The two characters from the series I most remember are Lightning Lad and Cosmic Boy. Those were good times!